- Hay fever. Taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, seems to reduce hayfever symptoms such as sneezing, itching, runny nose, and congestion.
- Depression. Most available research shows that taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, reduces depression symptoms in people already using an antidepressant.
- High cholesterol. Turmeric seems to lower levels of blood fats called triglycerides. The effects of turmeric on cholesterol levels are conflicting. There are many different turmeric products available. It is not known which ones work best.
- Osteoarthritis. Some research shows that taking turmeric extracts, alone or in combination with other herbal ingredients, can reduce pain and improve function in people with knee osteoarthritis. In some research, turmeric worked about as well as ibuprofen for reducing osteoarthritis pain. But it does not seem to work as well as diclofenac for improving pain and function in people with osteoarthritis.
- Itching (pruritus). Research suggests that taking turmeric by mouth three times daily for 8 weeks reduces itching in people with long-term kidney disease. Also, early research suggests that taking a specific combination product (C3 Complex, Sami Labs LTD) containing curcumin plus black pepper or long pepper daily for 4 weeks reduces itching severity and improves quality of life in people with chronic itching caused by mustard gas.
Possibly Ineffective for
- Stomach ulcers. Some research suggests that taking turmeric three times daily for 8 weeks does not improve stomach ulcers. Also, taking powdered turmeric four times daily for 6 weeks seems to be less effective than taking a conventional antacid.
- Skin problems related to radiation cancer treatments. Curcumin is a chemical in turmeric. Taking curcumin does not seem to prevent skin problems during radiation treatment.
- Allergic rhinitis (hayfever. 500 mg of curcumin, a chemical in turmeric, has been used daily for 2 months.
- Depression. 500 mg of curcumin, a chemical in turmeric, has been taken twice daily, alone or along with 20 mg of fluoxetine daily, for 6-8 weeks.
- For high cholesterol: 1.4 grams of turmeric extract in two divided doses daily for 3 months has been used.
- For itching (pruritus): 1500 mg of turmeric in three divided doses daily for 8 weeks has been used.
- For osteoarthritis: 500 mg of a non-commercial turmeric product four times daily for 4-6 weeks has been used.
Turmeric Plus tablets 60's